Important COVID-19 information
We want to do everything possible to keep our animals, volunteers, staff and community safe, so the Humane Society is making operational changes in alignment with the CDC, Department of Health and the American Veterinary Medical Association recommendations.
What to expect from us for the time being:
- We are offering adoptions by appointment only. If you would like to adopt or meet one of our adoptable animals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reach our adoptions team.
- To keep our volunteers safe and healthy, we are suspending our volunteer program for the time being. We will update you when we plan to reinstate the program.
- We are limiting our intake to animals in immediate need of medical care by appointment. This step is to help us maintain our operations with a shortage of certain medical supplies and will allow us to better manage animal care, should the shelter need to close or multiple employees are out sick.
- We will be unable to host the Animal Explorer’s Camp at our facility for the summer of 2020. We came to this difficult decision after carefully considering the safety of our campers, staff, animals and volunteers. One of the staples of being an Animal Explorer is the personal, hands-on interaction with our lovable pets, and our current social distancing protocols would prohibit that important part of learning. We are considering other avenues for learning, including the use of videos, worksheets and zoom meetings. If you would like to receive updates on possible alternative learning tools, you can join our contact list by emailing Matthew Womack at email@example.com.
How you can help:
- ADOPT: We are offering adoptions by appointment only. If you would like to adopt or meet one of our adoptable animals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reach our adoptions team. Prospective adopters can fill out our application here.
- FOSTER: We need people to sign up to foster should we temporarily need to move dogs and cats out of the shelter. Please contact Ashley Moore at email@example.com for more information.
- DONATE: Monetary gifts will help us continue to do our lifesaving work.
- FOOD PANTRY: As part of the Shelby County Animal Welfare Coalition, we are partnering with Memphis Animal Services and other area shelters to launch a pet food pantry to assist pet parents residing in Shelby County who’ve lost income due to COVID-19 restrictions. Click here for details.
Last week, we published a story to help pet owners prepare for COVID-19 and the potential impacts on their companion animals. It’s important to note that, at this time, there is no proof that companion animals can contract COVID-19. But, there are things you can do to prepare for your animal in the case that you need to quarantine.
All of us at the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County remain committed to providing the best care to our animals, to you and to our community. We will continue to do whatever we can to best serve our mission while keeping health and safety our top priority. Please follow our social media for updates and information from our team.